Sunday, April 15, 2007

Expanding my practice

Through the 14 years I have been a witch my least favorite thing has been doing formal rituals. I often find that having to memorize and go through 'the motions" of creating a circle to feel more like acting, than religion. In college I was in theater, and many rituals seem to read like a play, say this, walk right, point there, etc. Not particularly inspiring. I realize that in a group this sort of thing is necessary to prevent chaos and confusion, but I'm a solitary and it just wasn't working for me.

But I want to do rituals, so I have had to alter how it is done. For example I like to dance my circle into creation. Except for music, it is silent. I do call the quarters, just without words. This I like, this feels spiritual for me. I speak later on, saying the Charge of the Goddess (which I do want to memorize) prayers, songs, chants, then I release the circle as I opened it, but going the other way around. It is a more spontaneous ritual, more creative in the moment, I only do basic planning beforehand.

So having found a method of ritual that feels spiritual, I want to do more. I want to become adept at the practice of ritual and get past the resistance I have had for them. I was thinking maybe one a week, but it will probably be more like once or twice a month, which, trust me, is way more than the once or twice a year I was doing. I did my first ritual Friday a week ago; a gratitude ritual after my father's surgery to remove his foot. We were worried he might not make it (he's had bunch of surgeries for an infection he had, is diabetic and on dialysis; the surgeries began in January, we're hoping this is it).

I bought a book yesterday, and it is on creating rituals. It is called Women's Rites, Women's Mysteries by Ruth Barrett.



I am eager to read it and see if I can put it to use. I wanted to get The Earth Path by Starhawk too, but I have got to be careful with what I spend, so maybe next time.

Blessings,
Agate

No comments: